Thursday, December 18, 2014

Piglets everywhere!!

It has come to my attention that all my female pigs (both sows and gilts) come into heat that the same time, every three weeks, unless they are pregnant.  Over the summer I had three sows farrow the same day.  They had been placed with the boars weeks apart, but somehow managed to "sync up" and deliver me surprises the same day.  Recently, my two sows, Stella and Maisy delivered on the same day.  The interesting thing about that, is that Maisy was in with the boars two months before Stella.  Two and a half weeks later (gilts farrow earlier) Olive and Minnie both had litter within 24 hours of each other.

Now, I understand that this is mother nature and all that jazz.  But, wouldn't it make more sense for them to stagger out?  That way they wouldn't be drawing away resources (and boars) at the same time.  It also would be easier for me, if the pigs care!! It also seems to me, that the females seem to get pregnant in groups, it makes me wonder if the boars just sit around being lazy unless there is competition, or two girls competing.

I looked for peer reviewed articles on the subject, no dice.  So, I guess I will just keep my records and see what happens over the long term.


No comments:

Post a Comment